BY ALYSSA FISHER
As Floridians, we easily grow tired of the usual, brutally hot and humid weather. Every winter, we yearn for a cold front to give us rosy cheeks and tousled hair. We dream of waking up to a white blanket of snow covering our yards and sparkling snowflakes descending from the sky. Though, when the weather finally drops, Florida beach bums shiver uncontrollably in their Ugg Boots and crave the warmth that use to be irritating. It may only be between 40 and 60 degrees, but to us, it feels like a snowstorm is approaching.
During Florida’s three “frigid” months, we will do anything necessary to be warm, even if it means spending massive amounts of money on clothes that end up in storage at the arrival of spring. In order to stay toasty, trendy, and thrifty, follow this guide for Florida winter must-haves.
1. Leather Bomber: The leather bomber jacket serves to keep our bodies insulated and looking hot. It instantly adds edge, fun, and style to an every day look. This jacket can be worn year round, and with this price tag, it can be the year’s best purchase. Crinkled Moto Jacket:Target-$24.48
2. Crochet Sweater: This is such a wonderful time of year, and it’s difficult not to catch the festive fever. To get a holiday spirited look and spice up a dull outfit, slip on a crochet sweater. (But be careful not to go to literal with cheesy holiday prints and colors!) Cozy Sweater Cardigan: Forever 21-$29.80
3. Tights: Tights add the perfect sophisticated touch to a mini skirt or sweater dress while keeping you warm outdoors. Basic Black Tights: Ann Taylor’s Loft-$12.50
4. Fur Vest: Need I say anything? This vest is funky and edgy, perfect for any cold, dreary winter day or night. Pair it with a graphic long sleeve shirt and belt it to instantly become the center of attention. Hydraulic Sleeveless Oversized Faux Fur Vest: Macy’s-$34.95
5. Slouchy Sweatshirt: Feeling the chill and the desire to stay in bed? If the chilly mornings are beginning to get to you, the key for an effortless yet chic look is as simple as pulling on a slouchy sweatshirt. Pairing this simple, comfortable top with a pair of skinny jeans and a long pendant will make the transition easier from your cozy bed to the freezing hallways. Slouchy Sweater Tunic: Forever 21-$10.00
6. Long Sleeve T-Shirts: A necessity for enduring Florida’s winters is the plain long sleeve shirt. They are perfect for the transition from the freezing mornings to the warmer afternoons. They are ideal for any situation, especially for layering with outwear and accessories to bear the cold. Vintage long-sleeved T: Gap-$8.99 – $14.99
7. Slouchy Boots: To complete any casual look, these boots are a must have. They will last through any season, and also come in six different colors to keep things interesting. SM Hipstr Booties: DSW-$49.95
8. Combat Boots: I’m a sucker for combat boots. These fashion-forward shoes have been seen on the feet of countless celebrity fashionistas. They add an edgy flair to any outfit and can easily be transitioned into a spring, fall, and even summer look. They are on the pricey side, but you will wear them to the ground. Troopa: Steve Madden-$99.95
9. Hat: A hat is the always-classic accessory that will up the ante on your wardrobe, no matter the time, place, or season. This hat, resembling one worn in the 1920’s, is the perfect addition to any winter wonderland outfit. Felt Cloche: Target-$14.99
10. Scarf: Scarves come in all different styles, sizes, and colors, and are undoubtedly perfect for all seasons. For winter, the most popular type is the luxe loop scarf. It keeps your neck safe from the wind chill yet still looking stylish. The soft fabric makes you long to enjoy it as a pillow, as well. Sparkle Ruffle Infinity Loop: Target-$17.99